REXXTOOLS/MVS™ - Product Description
Seamless Extensions of TSO/E REXX
The REXX programming language is widely used for Rapid Application Development, Decision Support, Executive Information Systems, and Automation. REXX is easy to learn and maintain, almost self-documenting and very efficient. Programs built with REXX are simple to maintain when compared with COBOL, PL/1 and assembler.
REXXTOOLS/MVS adds access method interfaces, plus many REXX language extensions that greatly increase the functionality of the REXX language.
REXXTOOLS/MVS Feature Highlights
REXXTOOLS/MVS contains three components: Basic Services and Dynamic and Static SQL Services. Component features include:
- A facility for managing events with REXX programs, RXTEVENT, is provided. RXTEVENT may be run as a started task or a batch job.
- Version 2 message descriptors MQMD are now supported and are the default for the REXX MQSERIES Interface.
- Access methods for REXX: VSAM & IDCAMS, BPAM, QSAM, PDS/PDSE, JESSPOOL
- REXX Interpretive Compiler
- Dynamic Allocation
- REXX extension functions
- MVS & TSO Service Functions
- APPC/MVS and TCP/IP aids for client/server enablement
Dynamic and Static SQL Services
- Dynamic SQL Component
- Static SQL Component
- True Static SQL
- Portability between components
- "Formula One" performance
- Multi-row & single row Fetch
Please see our Compatibility Requirements page for compatibility information.
z/OS, MVS/ESA, and OS/390 are supported
- MVS/ESA 4.3 or higher required for APPC/MVS features.
- REXX sockets samples require IBM TCP/IP Version 3.1 or higher.
TSO/E Version 2.1 or higher
DB2 Version 2.2 through 12 required for Dynamic and Static DB2 SQL components.
- Installation can take as little as 30 minutes, depending on the type of installation you chose. The installation does not require any special authorization or system modification.
- Installation of REXX-DB2 interfaces require BIND ADD authority.
- REXXTOOLS/MVS functions run in problem state.
- REXXTOOLS/MVS is shipped to the customer on CD or via e-mail.
What Can You Do With REXXTOOLS/MVS?
REXXTOOLS/MVS can be used to perform many common programming tasks quickly and easily. For example, you can use it to:
- Create Internet Applications
REXXTOOLS/MVS can be used in REXX-based CGI scripts for popular MVS-based web servers, including IBM's Internet Connection Secure Server (ICSSI). In addition, REXXTOOLS can be used with the RXSOCKET function of IBM TCP/IP to create applications using Internet protocols.
- Create Client/Server Applications
REXX and REXXTOOLS/MVS are fully integrated into ISPF. REXXTOOLS lets you build applications to display and share VSAM and DB2-hosted data in hours instead of weeks.
- Create System Automation Applications
REXXTOOLS is used in all of the major MVS automations packages. In these environments, corporations are using REXXTOOLS to develop automated trouble ticketing, exception logging, and data warehouse applications.
- Create Bridge Applications
REXXTOOLS is often used to bridge gaps between vendor products and in-house applications. Since it provides access to a wide range of data stores, REXXTOOLS has been used with vendor products as diverse as CA-Endevor and Soft Switch.
- Write Batch Reports
REXX and REXXTOOLS/MVS can be used in batch jobs and started tasks to produce ad hoc and production reporting job streams. The REXXTOOLS currency formatting routine, D2PIC, provides the REXX programmer with the same support for number formatting as is available in COBOL.
- Improve System Performance
The highly efficient REXXTOOLS ALLOCATE command can be used to replace TSO ALLOCATESs in your logon execs. Corporations that have implemented this change report savings that can justify the cost of REXXTOOLS in a matter of months. The ALLOCATE has also been combined with the REXXTOOLS interpretive compiler to do dynamic allocations from COBOL programs.
- Create Custom Utilities
Many corporations have found that REXXTOOLS can be used to augment, and in some cases replace, expensive ISV-supplied utilities. In particular, our customers tell us that report writing using the REXXTOOLS Dynamic DB2/SQL is, in most cases, easier and performs better than equivalent most high priced ISV utilities.
Why Choose REXXTOOLS/MVS?
REXXTOOLS/MVS is the world's leading REXX extension product for the MVS operating system and is highly regarded for exceptional performance, functionality, and quality.
REXXTOOLS/MVS is no imitation. It was the first commercial general purpose MVS based REXX toolkit ever developed, and it keeps getting better. You can be sure that REXXTOOLS/MVS is feature-rich, well designed, highly optimized, and exceptionally stable.
Through the years, the price of REXXTOOLS/MVS has been kept low, yet new features have been continuously added. Many corporations have told us that REXXTOOLS/MVS is one of the best bargains they have ever purchased.
Easy To Use
REXXTOOLS/MVS was developed as a seamless extension of IBM's REXX language. You do not need special modifications or system authorizations to install and begin using REXXTOOLS functions and Host Command environments. Its clean architecture ensures upward compatibility so you don't waste your investment.
Commitment to Quality
REXXTOOLS/MVS has a well deserved world-wide reputation for being error free. Your business can count on it.